This speech is used in our conversation with Grant Goodman.
Click here for First Folio version.
Click here for scanned version.
1. If music be the food of love, play on;
2. Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
3. The appetite may sicken, and so die.
4. That strain again! it had a dying fall:
5. O, it came o’er my ear like the sweet sound,
6. That breathes upon a bank of violets,
7. Stealing and giving odour! Enough; no more:
8. ‘Tis not so sweet now as it was before.
9. O spirit of love! how quick and fresh art thou,
10. That, notwithstanding thy capacity
11. Receiveth as the sea, nought enters there,
12. Of what validity and pitch soe’er,
13. But falls into abatement and low price,
14. Even in a minute: so full of shapes is fancy
15. That it alone is high fantastical.